Monday, 6 January 2014

The Buzz about the bzzzz - New Look and Hair Loss

Wow! All the excitement with my new look. I didn't know this would course such a buzz ;-). Thank you for all the compliments.

If you know me, you would know that this is not me following some trend.  I see this as progress, Yes Progress!  What most of you don't know is that I've had hair loss / hair thinning for more than a decade.

It all started with a wrongful diagnosis and very strong medication. I stopped the meds of course and my hair grew back. Years later my hair started thinning, I also have an iron deficiency, the Doctor prescribed iron tablets. I've been to a Dermatologist for a scalp check, I've had rounds of blood work done, Thyroid checked for an imbalance, Hormone checked for imbalance, the list is long with all the checks I have had. I started hair treatments that the Doctor prescribed and after the treatment the hair loss would be worst than before I started.

Round about the same time as my hair started falling out, I started having stomach problems, and the Doctor prescribed anti-acids for my Acid Reflux. If I wasn't going to the Doctor for my hair, I was going to them for my stomach.  But through it all, I could still laugh, make jokes and go on with my life.

When I came to Germany there was some improvement, which was a relief. I was still taking my iron tablets until I got told by the Doctor not too. Reason being, my iron is low but not at a low that I need iron tablets. Through the years my hair loss became worse and stomach problems became more severe. I went back to a Dermatologist, got prescribed a treatment which yet again didn't work.

It wasn't until the end of 2009, after my father passed away with colon cancer that I had my first buzz cut ever. I woke up one morning, looked in the mirror and what little hair was there had to go, I shaved all of it. It was scary but at the same time it felt great. It also made me look at myself differently and made me get down to the root of my hair loss and stomach problems. At the end of 2010 I ended up in hospital, my Doctor labelled my stomach problem as, chronic. I had a Helicobacter Pylori test done, just to name one, which came back negative. All the test done came back negative.

I was always conscious of what I ate and having a healthy diet. After visiting the Doctor for a full blood test, and me asking the Doctor loads of questions, we ended up chatting about my hair loss and he suggested I have a HCL (Hydrochloric Acid) test done. Now I'm sure I've had this test done before, but one cannot be to sure and a second one wouldn't hurt. Which I did and with this test I found out my stomach acids are low and I always thought it was high. My body also wasn't absorbing much nutrients due to the digestive problems. He also told me caffeine can reduce nutrient absorption. I was at that time drinking loads of coffee, tea and smoking more than usual. Now it's not just caffeine, but also medication, alcohol, etc. We talked about my caffeine intake because I have an iron deficiency and iron is one nutrient thats particularly affected by caffeine. After the recommended or prescribed meds, I did a whole 360 with my diet. I stopped drinking coffee, tea with caffeine, so I drink more of the good ol' Rooibos tea (got to support the homeland), now and then I will have a cup of green tea (Green tea does have caffeine in it), I stopped smoking and cut a few things out of my diet and added loads more. Since I've been eating more organic my stomach haven't acted up and I have seen a drastic change in my overall health.

With my hair growing and new hairs were growing in, and dealing with different length of hair was stressing in itself. I spoke to a friend and said I was thinking of buzz cutting again, remembering my last buzz cut and the shock, I decided to cut it shorter first and then taking the rest off later.

Damn it! It felt good! There is something about shaving your head. It's freeing and it's like you shaving away all that crap that have been weighing you down. Washing my head now takes less than 3 minutes. Just easy peasy.

If you have hair loss or hair thinning, I recommend that you talk to a Doctor. This is just a short version of what I have been through with hair loss and where I am with my hair now.  Its important to ask your Doctor questions, regarding the issues or problems relating to your health. If your not happy, go have a second opinion.

We are living in a world of instant gratification, everything has to happen now. Patience is a virtue, hair don't grow overnight. If you are lacking or have a deficiency your head or hair is the last place where the nutrients will go to.

Remember, what works for me might not work for you.

Be safe and stay healthy.